Left high and dry, Bengaluru staring at water crisis

Left high and dry, Bengaluru staring at water crisis

Submitted by alvin on Wed, 2016-11-30 09:50 Bengaluru: Alarm bells are going off in the BWSSB. With only 1.4mm rainfall in November, the city is seeing rising temperatures and staring at a serious water crisis.According to the BWSSB, with current water levels in reservoirs - KRS has 5.55 TMC and Kabini, 4.95 TMC – the city is assured of normal water supply till February. “With available water levels, we can ensure normal supply on alternate days only to 80 percent of the city and weekly twice in remaining 20 per cent areas of the city. Every day, 1,350 MLD water is drawn from these dams. We can manage up to February. From March, there will be staggered supply," said Kemparamaiah, Engineer-In-Chief, BWSSB.With the available 10 TMC of water in Kabini and KRS dams, 3 TMC is required for Mysuru, Mandya and surrounding villages till February while 7 TMC is allocated for Bengaluru. The BWSSB has to manage with alarming live storage levels for the next six months till June.The BWSSB has already started preparing for the upcoming crisis by emphasising on water conservation. “The BWSSB has also penalised 1,800 large properties for failing to install sewage treatment plant. The checking will be intensified to bring more properties to install STP so that the waste water can be recycled and used for secondary purposes," Kemparamaiah told Bfirst.in.The BWSSB also has managed to save 50MLD of water from the southern region taking care of faulty pipes, leakages and unauthorised connections. "The work to tap unaccounted water from West and Central Bengaluru will also be completed in next two months. We hope to save about 120 MLD water," he added. Monsoon failureSunder Metri, Director, IMD, said this year the North-East winds coming from the Bay of Bengal didn’t get any cyclonic activity on the coasts of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu."November saw only 1.4mm rainfall compared with the 294mm of rain received last year. The North-East Monsoon benefits South-Interior Karnataka. Dams such as KRS and Kabini get filled up when it rains in catchment area, but this year the monsoon failed. Hence, the low levels in dams," said Metri.As there was no monsoon activity, the city temperature also has increased. On November 23 this year, City recorded 31.9 degrees - an all-time high for November month.