Mysterious fire singes another BBMP waste processing unit

Submitted by alvin on Tue, 2016-11-29 10:13 Bengaluru: A massive fire broke out at the Chikkanagamangala waste processing unit on Sunday. And barring speculation - about a worker being responsible for the fire – the BBMP is clueless about the reason for the fire. According to reports, over 600 tonnes of waste was on fire at the unit which has a capacity to treat 500 tonnes of waste per day. A BBMP source said it would take three days to douse the fire completely. Mayor G Padmavathi said the fire and emergency services had brought the fire “under control”. “We are suspecting that the fire might have been lit by a worker. Hence we have decided to file an FIR against Morgan, the company which runs the unit, due to the company's lack of responsibility,” she said. But the mayor had no plan on how the BBMP would handle the garbage being sent the unit. "We are yet to think on it but we will also make sure that the city will not stink," said the mayor, who also refused to comment on the extent of damage to the unit. Strangely, the unit was not running when it caught fire as BESCOM was not supplying power to the unit. Sarfaraz Khan, Joint Commissioner, SWM, BBMP, said around 4500 tonnes of Refused Derived Fuel (RDF) had been piled at Chikkanagamangala unit. “RDF might be also one of the reasons behind the fire,” said Khan.   According to the BBMP, the amount of RDF stored in different units is as follows Chikkanamangala: 4500 tonnes Seegehalli -Kannahalli: 6000 tonnes Subbarayanapalya: 3000 tonnes Doddabidirakallu: 4200 tonnes Lingadeeranahalli: 1500 tonnes   Villagers living in fear A farmer, a resident of Chikkanagamangala, on condition of anonymity, said it was becoming difficult for them to breath. “Not only us, even villagers in Anekal are facing the same issue. We are scared about facing the same fate as Mandur villagers," he said. Roopa, another villager and home-maker, said, the smell of smoke woke them up. “We thought that something might have caught fire in our or neighbours’ house," said Roopa.