Cauvery row: Protestor dies after police open fire; Curfew imposed at 16 police station limits

Cauvery row: Protestor dies after police open fire;  Curfew  imposed at 16 police station limits

Submitted by Editor on Mon, 2016-09-12 23:30 Bengaluru: The Cauvery row claimed its first fatality after a protestor succumbed to bullet wounds sustained when police opened fire on a mob which was trying to set on fire Hoysala police jeeps on Monday evening in Rajagopala Nagar police station limits. The deceased has been identified as Umesh, 25, a resident of Kunigal. According to the police, protestors tried to set ablaze two police Hoysala vehicles near Mohan Theatre near Hegganahalli junction. In retaliation, the City Armed Reserve (CAR) opened fire on the mob, which injured three people. Umesh was rushed to the hospital where he succumbed to bullet wounds late night. The condition of another protestor is said to be serious, said the police. The police commissoner has in the night imposed curfew at sixteen police station limits including Rajgopal Nagar, Kamakshipalya, Vijaynagar, Byatarayanpura, Kengeri, Magadi Road, Rajajinagar, Raja Rajeshwarinagar, KP Agrahara, RMC Yard, Yashavanthapura, Jnana Bharathi, Chandra Layout, Mahalakhshmi Layout, Peenya, Nandini Layout. Earlier, buses and trucks were set on fire and several shops were vandalised by agitators in Bengaluru and across state on Monday after the SC ruling on Cauvery and reports of Kannadigas being attacked in TN. Following the outbreak of violence, the state government called for an emergency cabinet meeting on Tuesday. More than 40 buses, 30 trucks and number of two-wheelers were set ablaze by agitators in Bengaluru, Mandya, Mysuru, Ramanagara, Chamarajanagar, and Hassan districts. Bengaluru city police commissioner imposed section 144 of CrPC to prevent untoward incidents from 5 pm on Monday in the city. But that didn’t seem to have any effect on protestors as they went on a rampage at Timber Yard junction, Nayandahalli junction and satellite bus stand on Mysuru Road in Bengaluru. More than 30 buses of KPN Travels, stationed at the depot in Byataranyapura police station limits in Nayandahalli, were set on fire. KPN seems to have been targeted as the company is owned by a Tamilian based out of Salem. Two buses belonging to SRS travels were also set on fire in Timber Yard Layout. C Basavanna, Fire Officer, Bengaluru East, said that fire tenders reached the spot after 7pm and doused the blaze which had engulfed around ten buses. Another 20 buses are still on fire, he said. Around 30 trucks were also set ablaze by agitators across the city including on Mysuru Road, NICE Road, Hosakerehalli, KR Puram, and surrounding areas. Two Adyar Anand Bhavan (A2B) hotels were vandalised in Domlur and Mysuru Road. Following the outbreak of arson, the Rapid Action Force (RAF) and city police resorted mild lathicharge on agitators at many places. A similar situation prevailed in Mandya district where two trucks, a bike, one car, one shop belongs to Tamil family in Pandavapura and one more truck at Gejjigere village in Maddur taluk were set on fire by miscreants.