Man burnt while repairing transformer, bystanders click photos

Man burnt while repairing transformer, bystanders click photos

Submitted by Editor on Mon, 2016-04-11 21:52 Bengaluru: A 30-year-old Electrician of an IT Firm sustained severe burns while trying to repair the electric transformer at the busy Adugodi Junction on Hosur Road on Monday. The transformer suddenly exploded and oil splashed on the technician, Omprakash Mishra, leading to a fire. Though he cried for help, passers-by were just mute spectators. In a display of callousness for the injured man, many were even taking photos of him.Sudhir, an eyewitness, tried to stop an autorickshaw to rush him to the hospital, but no vehicle stopped by. Finally, with help of a traffic policeman and a friend, he rushed Mishra in a car to St. John’s Hospital where he is being treated. Inquiries revealed that the transformer belonged to Seimens was located on the footpath. As per the standard procedure, the company should have informed Bescom in case of problem. But On Monday, before the Bescom staff reached the spot, Mishra had opened the transformer and tried to repair it.Bescom officials from the Quality Standards and Safety department said that though the maintenance of private RMUs was up to the owners of those units, they usually contact the power utility during installation and if there is a problem. "Our staff opens the unit for them. In this case, even before they reached the spot, the unit had been opened. There was a flashover and the company employee apparently suffered burns," a senior official said.The Adugodi police have taken up of a negligence and investigating further.